Firefly Lamb Jambalaya
Chefs Monique King and Paul Rosenbluh
Lamb meets crawfish jambalaya in this ode to one of Creole cookery's hallmarks
- 3 to 4 tbs canola oil
- 3 cups leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup Spanish chorizo
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 Tbs garlic
- 12 whole crawfish
- 1 cup crawfish tail meat
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 lamb chops
- salt and pepper as needed
- cornstarch as needed
- Jambalaya Broth:4 red bell peppers, julienne
- 4 yellow bell peppers, julienne
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 quarts tomatoes, diced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart water 1 quart
- Jambalaya Rice:2 quarts cooked white rice, still warm
- 3 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 Tbs smoked paprika
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground bay leaf
- 1 tsp cayenne 1 teaspoon
- salt to taste
- For the Jambalaya Broth Place peppers, celery, tomatoes, onions, bay leaves, garlic, chili flakes, salt, pepper and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes; remove bay leaves and store in refrigerator until needed.
- For the Jambalaya RicePlace rice in a bowl with tomato paste, paprika, garlic, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne and salt; mix thoroughly. Store in refrigerator until ready for use.
- In a shallow pan, over a medium-high flame, add oil. Add lamb and chorizo, cooking to brown and crumble chorizo. Season with salt. Stir in onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic. Sauté for 6 to 7 minutes. Add the whole crawfish and crawfish meat. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add broth and rice. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until rice softens and absorbs the broth. Use chicken stock as needed to help keep the Jambalaya loose. Adjust for salt.
- Season lamb chops with salt and pepper; dredge in cornstarch. Deep fry for about 1-1/2 minutes.
- Serve Jambalaya in bowl. Place the lamb chop and whole crawfish on top of the Jambalaya.
Calories from Fat 231 (42%)
(40%)Total Fat 26g
(42%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrate 47g
(18%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.