Creamy Potato Leek Soup with Tangy Tarragon Drizzle
A creamed vegetable soup is complimented perfectly by a zesty tarragon sauce. Serve as a first course at your next celebratory dinner.
- Creamy Potato Leek Soup2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cups cleaned and thinly sliced leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 med russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
- Tangy Tarragon Drizzle1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 6 Tbs buttermilk
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tarragon leaves (garnish)
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot melt butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Add leeks, shallots, and onions. Stir to combine and coat with melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until vegetables are softened, stirring frequently, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add chicken broth, cubed potatoes, and bay leaves. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are soft and tender, about 12 to15 minutes.
- Remove half the potatoes and set aside. Add toasted bread and cook until bread begins to dissolve, about 5 more minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Purée soup until smooth using a blender or food processor. Stir in reserved potatoes and evaporated milk. Top with Tangy Tarragon Drizzle before serving.
- Tangy Tarragon DrizzleMix together mayonnaise, buttermilk, tarragon, and mustard in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, drizzle on soup and garnish with tarragon leaves.
Calories from Fat 89 (38%)
(16%)Total Fat 10g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.