Country-Style Roasted Chicken
Here's a wonderful recipe for a simple roasted chicken that is flavored with a touch of sherry or dry white wine.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbls butter
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb white boiling onions, sliced very thin
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Sprinkle chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. In roasting pan large enough to hold the chicken, melt the butter and olive oil together on the top of the stove, over medium-low heat. Add the onions; sauté gently, lowering heat if necessary to keep onions from browning. Cook 20 minutes until very soft.
- Push onions around the sides of the pan; place chicken in the middle of the pan. Pour sherry and chicken stock over chicken. Place in preheated oven and roast 30 minutes, basting once with the wine mixture. Lower heat to 350° F and continue roasting another 30 minutes, continuing to baste occasionally with juices in pan.
- Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180° F.
- Remove chicken from oven; set aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving. If pan juices are too liquid, boil rapidly over high heat, taking care not to fry the onions.
Calories from Fat 415 (46%)
(72%)Total Fat 47g
(55%)Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 6g
Monounsaturated Fat 26g
Total Carbohydrate 14g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.