Cinnamon French Toast with Pomegranate-Apple Compote
Ladle this vanilla-infused apple compote onto classic French toast—perfect for a weekend morning.
- Pomegranate-Apple Compote1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise
- 1/2 cup dried pitted cherries
- 1 Tbs unsalted butter
- 2 lbs Gala apples, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Cinnamon French Toast4 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk (or plain soy milk)
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- 8 slices cinnamon swirl (or challah bread), sliced 1 1/2-inch thick
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (garnish)
- Powdered sugar as needed
- Pomegranate-Apple CompoteHeat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until it simmers.
- Turn off heat; add sliced vanilla bean and dried cherries. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes until cherries are plump.
- Scrape vanilla beans out of the pod and add the beans to the compote; discard the remaining pod.
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan, and add the sliced apples. Cook the apples until they begin to soften but still hold their shape (about 5 to 6 minutes).
- Add the maple syrup to the apples, along with the pomegranate juice, vanilla bean, and cherry mixture. Simmer until the juice reduces to a syrup (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Cinnamon French ToastIn a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk (or soy milk), vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Place the bread slices in a flat casserole dish and cover with the egg mixture. Let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the slices of soaked bread to the pan and cook them until golden brown (about 4 minutes per side).
- Top the cinnamon French toast with the warm pomegranate apple compote. Sprinkle on powdered sugar and garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds.
Calories from Fat 82 (23%)
(14%)Total Fat 9g
(21%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 64g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.