Chicken Roasted with Rum and Spices
Rum, honey, brown sugar, and apple cider vinegar form a sweet-and-sour glaze for this chicken.
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 tbls cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Rinse the chicken with cold water; pat dry.
- In small bowl, stir together cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture all over outside and inside of chicken. Tie legs of chicken together with butcher's twine. Set aside.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, warm oil over medium-low heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until onions are very soft, about 8 - 10 minutes. Set chicken on top of onions.
- In small bowl, stir together honey, brown sugar, rum and vinegar to make glaze. Drizzle half the glaze over chicken. Pour chicken broth over onions. Bake chicken for 30 minutes in oven. Drizzle remaining glaze over chicken and bake for 30 more minutes. Baste chicken with pan juices and bake 30 minutes more, until done. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- To serve, spoon onions into dish. Carve chicken and serve each portion with some of the onions on the side.
Calories from Fat 508 (53%)
(87%)Total Fat 57g
(78%)Saturated Fat 16g
Polyunsaturated Fat 12g
Monounsaturated Fat 24g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(7%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.