This satisfying, feel-good meal takes very little effort. Serve after a long day when you want a bit of cozy comfort on your plate.
- Spice Blend2 Tbs dried Italian herb seasoning, crumbled between the fingers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Sauce3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (8-counce) package sliced mushrooms (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 Tbs jarred minced garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 cup fat-free less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut into serving pieces
- Pasta12 oz spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and kept warm
- Make the spice blend: Stir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Lightly coat a Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Add the oil and warm over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is clear and the pepper is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic spice blend, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, wine, and bay leaves. Stir well and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Add the chicken, turn the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until the mixture thickens and is heated through, about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove the bay leaves. Spoon the sauce over the spaghetti, place the chicken pieces on top, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue by Carla Fitzgerald Williams. Copyright © 2003 Carla Fitzgerald Williams. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Calories from Fat 140 (28%)
(24%)Total Fat 15g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 48g
(12%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.