Chicken and Asparagus with Black Bean Sauce
Bring some savory Asian flavors to your dinner table with this quick stir fry.
- 1 1/2 Tbs peanut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs Chinese black bean and garlic sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb asparagus, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 red japaleno chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In wok or large deep sided skillet, warm peanut oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, black bean sauce, ginger and salt; toss and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Raise heat to high, add asparagus, onion and bell pepper. Toss and stir until coated with oil and sauce, about 1 minute.
- Add chicken and cook, tossing, until opaque and firm, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar and chili; bring mixture to a boil, cover and cook until asparagus is tender but still crunchy. Add cornstarch mixture and oyster sauce, if using. Cook, stirring continuously, until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in sesame oil. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of the National Chicken Council
Calories from Fat 76 (58%)
(13%)Total Fat 9g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.