Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
This curry will warm your bones, stick to your insides, and leave you full and happy.
- For the curry:2 cans of chickpeas, drained and washed
- 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs finely chopped parsley (optional if you donít like parsley)
- 2 Tbs finely chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups water
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the couscous:1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbs Chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbs Sliced roasted almonds
- For the curry:Chop your veggies, herbs, and butternut squash. To cut the squash: slice off the top and bottom, and then cut it in half widthwise. Peel both halves. Then cut each half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and chop into cubes.
- Heat oil in a large pot, and add the onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds, then add the cumin, tumeric, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously. Add the paprika, tomato paste, sugar, and the parsley, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add the tomatoes and the drained chickpeas. Stir and then add the butternut squash and the water, stir and then cover with the lid. Once simmering, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 35 minutes.
- Cook couscous according to package directions with vegetable stock or water. Once itís cooked, fluff with a fork and stir in mint and almonds.
- Garnish curry with some cilantro and serve with couscous.
Calories from Fat 47 (8%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(4%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 125g
(82%)Dietary Fiber 20g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of USĖregistered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.