Brochette of Quail and California Mission Figs with Winter Green Salad
Grilled and skewered alongside fennel and figs, you'll realize from the first bite that, although quail are small, they are enormously tasty.
- 4 semi-boneless quail
- 18 dried California Mission figs
- 1 bulb fennel
- 18 fresh sage leaves
- 12 long wooden or metal skewers
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Winter Salad1 head Belgian endive, coarsely chopped
- 1 head frisée lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, leaves only
- Salad Dressing6 Tbs olive oil
- 4 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs minced shallot (or 1 Tbs minced garlic)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Completely bone quail leaving leg and wing attached. Then, cut each quail in half, and cut each breast into two pieces, one piece with wing attached and one without; remove leg and divide thigh from drumstick to make eight pieces from each quail. Set aside.
- Remove and discard stems from figs and cut figs in half lengthwise; set aside. Trim stalk and root from fennel bulb and cut white center part into twelve, small pieces about the same size as the figs.
- Divide and thread onto twelve skewers, alternating pieces of quail breasts, thighs, and legs with figs, fennel, and sage leaves; brush all over with olive oil.
- Arrange brochettes over hot charcoal fire or on well oiled broiler pan under hot broiler and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until quail is fully cooked, to 165°F internal temperature at thickest parts, turning frequently.
- Meanwhile, turn salad greens into large mixing bowl. In another small bowl, combine all ingredients for salad dressing and whisk to blend thoroughly. Drizzle salad greens with about one-half dressing and toss to coat lightly; reserve remaining half.
- To serve, divide and portion salad onto six individual serving plates, and arrange two skewers per plate on top. Drizzle reserved dressing over all; serve at once.
Calories from Fat 189 (55%)
(33%)Total Fat 21g
(17%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 24g
(28%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.