Black Bean Omelet with Avocado Salsa Verde
Culinary Institute of America
Black beans are an important part of this breakfast recipe, providing protein, fiber, and slowly digested carbohydrates to an omelet.
- Omelet8 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Avocado Salsa Verde1 Haas avocado, ripe, peeled and seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 Tbs red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Black Bean Filling1 Tbs olive oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup scallions, stemmed and chopped
- 1 Tbs garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbs cilantro, minced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare the Avocado Salsa Verde by carefully combining all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving to allow the flavors to combine.
- In a skillet with the canola oil, sauté the scallions, garlic, and cayenne for 1 minute; add the tomato and beans and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste, set aside, and keep warm.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and salt. Heat an 8-inch skillet over medium-low heat and add the oil. Pour in ¼ of the egg mixture. As the eggs set, lift the edges, letting the uncooked portion flow underneath. When the eggs are nearly set, sprinkle ¼ of the bean mixture over one side; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons grated cheese. Fold the omelet over the filling; cover and let stand for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Repeat this until all four omelets are ready. Serve each omelet with a ½ cup of the Avocado Salsa Verde.
Calories from Fat 247 (63%)
(43%)Total Fat 28g
(38%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 18g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.