Assemble the night before to allow the bread layers time to soak up the savory custard. Then bake in the morning while the coffee brews.
- 6 English muffins (12 oz.)
- 6 slices Canadian-style bacon, chopped (4 oz.)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- fresh lemon slices (garnish)
- chives, chopped (garnish)
- Split muffins; cut into 1-inch pieces. Place 1/2 of the pieces in single layer in greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the bacon. Repeat layers with remaining muffin pieces and bacon.
- Beat eggs, milk, mayonnaise, lemon juice and lemon peel in large bowl until blended. Slowly pour over layers in baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Remove strata from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Bake in center of 350°F oven until puffed, golden and knife inserted near center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
Calories from Fat 35 (12%)
(5%)Total Fat 3g
(15%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.