Barley Beef Supper
Great for a cold winter’s eve. Serve with salad and corn bread for a heart-warming meal.
- 3/4 lbs extra lean ground beef, uncooked
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, (one 15-ounce can) broken up with a fork
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- Sauté meat, onions, celery, and green pepper in a large nonstick skillet.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 1 hour, until most of the liquid is absorbed. It should be moist, but not runny.
Calories from Fat 51 (16%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(11%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 42g
(40%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.