Barbecue Pulled Lamb Shank on Crusty Rolls
Saucy barbecue sandwiches are classic summertime fare. Serve with a side of slaw.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 4 lamb foreshanks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 6 crusty rolls
- In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Pat shanks dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides.
- Place in a roasting pan. Add onion, chicken broth, and oregano. Roast at 375ºF for 2 hours, turning shanks every 30 minutes.
- When meat is done, remove from broth and cool. Strain broth, reserving onions. Reserve 1/4 cup of broth. Refrigerate or freeze remaining broth for use in soups or stews.
- Remove meat from bones; shred meat removing fat. In pan, combine pulled lamb, barbecue sauce, and 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup reserved broth if needed. Heat, stirring to combine sauce and lamb.
- Split rolls and spoon on meat.
Calories from Fat 198 (39%)
(34%)Total Fat 22g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.