Warm Winter Walnut Salad
Recipe by Diana Torrey/Torrey Food Communications, courtesy of California Walnuts
- Salad:2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat) or long-grain white rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1-pound (455g) bag mixed frozen vegetables such as broccoli, corn and red peppers
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 3 Tbs chopped fresh parsley or chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce (half a head)
- Dressing:1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley or chives
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat. Add the bulgur or rice and vegetables and stir to combine. When the mixture returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low, then cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside off heat, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the mixture into a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, walnuts, onions and parsley and combine by stirring and tossing with a fork. Season with pepper to taste. Spread the lettuce around the rim of a large platter.
- To make the dressing, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice and parsley in a small bowl.
- Mound the salad in the center of the lettuce and spoon some of the dressing over the salad. Pass the remaining dressing at the table.
Calories from Fat 98 (29%)
(18%)Total Fat 12g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 7g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 51g
(52%)Dietary Fiber 13g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.