Vegetable Paella with Tofu
A creative take on a traditional dish, this vegetarian version has a midly spicy edge.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 7-ounce package spicy marinated tofu, finely diced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced (the mushrooms cook down so much that if you’re a mushroom fan, you can add up to 10 ounces)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 14-ounce can chopped or diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1/8 tsp saffron, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper (these are crucial; don’t forget them! Add them to taste.)
- Heat oil in wok or a large pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu when oil is heated through, season with salt. Sauté 10 minutes, or until tofu is browned, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms release liquid and begin to brown.
- Meanwhile, if you’re using minute brown rice, cook according to package directions. Add in saffron at the same time you add the rice to the boiling water. Stir and cook on low - let sit until all water is absorbed.
- Back to the tofu/mushroom mixture: Stir in carrots, corn, tomatoes, and garlic, and sauté 2-5 minutes more.
- Stir in rice, and about approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of water (if you’re using minute rice). Cover with wok lid, and simmer 10-15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add peas on surface (do not stir yet), cover, and allow peas to steam 1 to 2 minutes. Remove wok from heat, and stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with salt, garlic salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Calories from Fat 41 (14%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(3%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 55g
(30%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.