Vegetable Beef Soup
An old-fashioned, hearty soup that’s easy to prepare. Any leftover vegetable can be added and any lean cut of beef works in this recipe. Serve with crusty, whole grain bread.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 Tbs beef bouillon granules
- 28 oz canned tomatoes, chopped (one 28-ounce can)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots (2 carrots), sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat oil and brown meat. (This browning process produces a rich broth, so don’t hurry.) Add onions to pot and cook until soft.
- Stir in water and bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, and cabbage, and simmer covered for 30–60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add frozen vegetables and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Calories from Fat 49 (23%)
(8%)Total Fat 5g
(7%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 26g
(31%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.