Topsy-Turvy Tamale Pie
What a treat! Have the comfort of a homemade tamale pie without cooking cornmeal and laboring over the filling.
- Spice Blend2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crumbled between the fingers
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Filling1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup firmly packed frozen pepper strips (about one-third of a 14 ounce bag), chopped
- 1 tsp jarred minced garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with chiles
- 2 1/2 cups large chunks rotisserie chicken, skin removed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or 1 (7 ounce) can of corn, drained
- 1 (3.8 ounce) can sliced black ripe olives, drained (about 1 cup)
- Topping1 (8 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix (about 1 1/2 cups mix, enough for 6-10 muffins)
- 1 cup already-shredded sharp Cheddar or reduced-fat cheese, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced mild chile peppers, undrained
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spice BlendStir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- FillingHeat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and spice blend, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes, chicken, beans, corn, and olives. Stir well to combine and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low and let the mixture simmer while you make the topping, stirring occasionally. Wrap the skillet handle in foil if it is not ovenproof.
- ToppingMix the ingredients together in a small bowl, stirring in 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon the topping over the skillet, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is firm but springy when touched lightly, or until a knife inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue by Carla Fitzgerald Williams. Copyright © 2003 Carla Fitzgerald Williams. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated using reduced-fat cheese.
Calories from Fat 202 (37%)
(35%)Total Fat 23g
(40%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 56g
(37%)Dietary Fiber 9g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.