Thai-Inspired Green Curry
Really good, authentic Thai ingredients are widely available in many American grocery stores these days, thanks to a growing interest in ethnic foods. This dish is intensely seasoned! However, it gets toned down and balanced by the soothing coconut milk.
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 1 tsp green curry paste
- 1 3-inch piece of lemongrass, cut in two, then split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 Tbs Thai fish sauce (nam pla) (optional)
- 1 small yellow summer squash (about 4 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-rounds
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-rounds
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 2 Tbs minced fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, broth or stock, and green curry paste. Whisk to combine.
- Add the lemongrass or lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the lemongrass stalk, if used. Stir in the fish sauce, if used. Add the squash, zucchini, and broccoli, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are just tender. Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less by Mollie Katzen and Walter Willet, M.D. Copyright © 2006 Mollie Katzen and Walter Willett, M.D. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Kitchen Tip: This dish will keep for only about a day or two, and is best eaten fresh. If you need to store it, refrigerate it in a tightly covered container and reheat it gently.
Calories from Fat 68 (46%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(28%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.