Sweet and Sour Cabbage
Delicious with chicken, this tangy dish is a winner, especially during the chilly winter months when cabbage is in season.
- 1 medium red cabbage head
- 1 medium apple
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Cut cabbage into quarters. Slice away the inner core and discard. Slice the quartered cabbage into thin strips. Core apple and chop into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add cabbage and apple and cook, uncovered, stirring for 10 minutes, until cabbage is wilted.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix well. Cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 34 (24%)
(6%)Total Fat 4g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.