Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti
The tasty filling in this recipe can also be used to make stuffed shells or lasagna. If you can’t find manicotti tubes at the store, you can also spread the filling on cooked lasagna noodles, roll them up jellyroll fashion, and set them side by side in a
- 6 manicotti tubes, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 10-ounce (285g) package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed (chopped broccoli can be substituted)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 16 oz firm tofu
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt, if desired (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups bottled, seasoned tomato sauce
- Nondairy Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Drain spinach and squeeze out remaining water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sautè olive oil, onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onions are transparent and liquid from mushrooms has evaporated. Add spinach to onion mixture and sautè over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together tofu, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mash well with a potato masher or fork. Add contents of skillet to tofu mixture. Mix well, using your hands if necessary to combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Oil a medium-sized, rectangular baking pan or decorative casserole dish. Spoon 1/2 to 3/4 cup (120 to 180mL) tomato sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Spread evenly.
- Fill manicotti tubes with tofu mixture. Place manicotti side by side in baking dish and cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle lightly with nondairy Parmesan cheese. Cover pan loosely with aluminum foil; bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil for the last 10 minutes of baking time.
- Allow manicotti to cool for approximately 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 136 (27%)
(23%)Total Fat 15g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 8g
Total Carbohydrate 65g
(32%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.