Spicy Portabella Couscous
Portabella mushrooms take on a Middle Eastern flair in this dish with the flavors of cumin, cinnamon, and orange.
- 12 oz portabella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 cup couscous (uncooked)
- Trim portabella stems, if attached; slice mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add portabellas; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes; remove from skillet to a plate; cover to keep warm. Add remaining two tablespoons of olive oil to skillet. Stir in onion, cumin and cinnamon; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add orange juice, cook at a brisk simmer until liquid reduces to 1 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare couscous: In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. stir in couscous, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. If desired, stir in sliced green onions, golden raisins and sliced almonds. To serve, divide couscous among 4 plates; top each with portabellas; drizzle with orange-cumin sauce.
Calories from Fat 126 (26%)
(22%)Total Fat 14g
(10%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 10g
Total Carbohydrate 81g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.