Roasted Carrot and Chicken Salad with Pistachios
Roasting is a great way to bring out any vegetable's natural sweetness. In this colorful salad, tender chunks of carrot are the perfect counterpoint to the lingering, nutty flavor of crunchy pistachios.
- 1 lb large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" diagonal slices (2 cups)
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves (6 ounces each), cut crosswise in thin slices
- 4 Tbs snipped fresh chives or sliced scallion greens
- 1 Tbs plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 bunch watercress, tough stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups halved red seedless grapes
- 2 Tbs unsalted shelled chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat an 11" x 9" baking pan and a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place the carrots in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with the sugar, 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Toss to coat well. Roast, stirring several times, for minutes, until the carrots are tender and lightly golden at the edges.
- About 5 minutes before the carrots are done, place the chicken in a mound on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of the oil, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the chives, and 1/8 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Arrange in a single layer. Roast, turning once, for 5 to 7 minutes, until cooked through. Remove carrots and chicken from the oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a salad bowl, mix the vinegar, shallot, and the remaining oil, 2 tablespoons chives, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Let stand 5 minutes or more to blend the flavors.
- To finish the salad, add the arugula, watercress, and grapes to the dressing and toss to mix well.
- Spread out on a platter. Top with the carrots, the chicken and any juices, and sprinkle with the pistachios.
- Serve warm.
Copyright © 2005 by Rodale Inc.
Calories from Fat 93 (36%)
(16%)Total Fat 11g
(8%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(19%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.