Rajma (or Indian-Spiced Vegetarian Chili)
This North Indian vegetarian dish made with red kidney beans in a thick curry with lots of Indian whole spices is usually served with rice or naan.
- 2 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 cup minced onions (can use red onion)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (Roma tomatoes work great here. Note: Make sure you use all the seeds and pulp from inside the tomato, it makes a great base for the curry!)
- 1 tsp minced gingerroot, or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional) (I would highly recommend adding this in - gives the curry a nice kick without being too spicy!)
- 2 cups drained kidney beans (19-ounce can)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced, or to taste
- 3 Tbs minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, add the oil, onions, and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, gingerroot, cumin seeds, Garam Masala, lemon pepper, and dried red pepper flakes, if desired, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more.
Calories from Fat 68 (32%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(3%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(41%)Dietary Fiber 10g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.