Provençal Poached Salmon Dinner with Mushrooms
The mushroom medley absorbs the classic flavors of Herbes de Provence and transforms them into something unforgettable.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 5 cups mixed mushrooms (crimini, white, shiitake), thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
- 4 salmon fillets (5 oz each)
- chopped parsley or pea sprouts (optional)
- Mashed Potatoes4-5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (1 1/2 lbs)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- In large 12-inch (30 cm) non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and onions for 3-5 minutes or until just starting to brown. Add broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper and ½ tsp (2 mL) herbes de Provence; bring to boil. Arrange salmon in single layer on top; sprinkle remaining 1 tsp ( 5 mL) herbes de Provence evenly on salmon. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer over for 10 minutes or until fish flakes readily with a fork. Spoon mashed potatoes onto dinner plates; flattening slightly. Top with salmon and spoon mushroom sauce over all. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or pea sprouts if desired.
- *Tip: Herbes de Provence is a mixture of rosemary, marjoram, thyme, savory, and basil. If desired, substitute ½ tsp each crumbled dried thyme and dried rosemary leaves for herbes de Provence.
- Mashed Potatoes: Peel and quarter 4-5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (1½ lbs). Place in 1½ qt. microwave bowl with about ¼ cup water. Cover and microwave on high, about 10 minutes, stirring once, or until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes with ¼ cup light sour cream; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Calories from Fat 205 (37%)
(34%)Total Fat 22g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 45g
(16%)Dietary Fiber 4g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.