Noodle-icious Fish Stew
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD & Liz Weiss, MS, RD
Please the kids with this noodle-icious fish stew. Decorating with crackers in whimsical shapes adds to the fun.
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 3 slices center cut bacon, finely diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cups all-natural vegetable broth
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 5 oz dry medium whole wheat blend egg noodles (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 tsp store-bought seafood seasoning blend
- 1 1/2 lbs haddock (or cod), skinned and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to crisp.
- Stir in the red bell pepper and onion and cook until the bell pepper is soft and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, egg noodles, corn, and seasoning and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook, uncovered, at a low boil for five minutes. Stir in the haddock, cover and simmer until the fish is no longer translucent in the center, about 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the National Fisheries Institute
Calories from Fat 142 (30%)
(24%)Total Fat 16g
(21%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 51g
(22%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.