Maple-Apple Sponge Custards
Maple syrup paired with Granny Smith apples brings a sweet-tart flavor to these custards.
- 1- 1/2 cups chopped peeled crisp apple, such as Granny Smith
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbs butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Divide apples evenly among six 6-oz. greased custard cups, reserving a few pieces for garnish, if desired. Place cups in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Mix sugar and flour in medium bowl. Stir in egg yolks, milk, syrup, butter and vanilla until blended; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until stiff but not dry, just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted. Gently but thoroughly Fold yolk mixture into whites. Pour over apples, dividing evenly (about 2/3 cup each).
- Place pan on rack in center of 350°F oven; pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2 inch of top of cups. Bake until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove cups from water bath at once; cool on wire rack at least 10 minutes.
Serving Suggestions: Serve custards warm or refrigerate until cold. Garnish with reserved apple, whipped cream and fresh mint.
Substitute another fresh, canned, or dried fruit for the apple and flavoring the custard as you like. Choose a fruit that doesn't have a lot of moisture, such as blueberries. Drain canned fruit very well.
Calories from Fat 61 (32%)
(11%)Total Fat 7g
(20%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 29g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.