Make-Ahead Brunch Beef Strata
This delicious strata takes some time but with Asiago cheese, savory mushrooms, and ground beef, it's well worth the wait.
- 1- 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 4 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups crustless bread cubes (3/4-inch)
- 2 cups shredded Asiago or fontina cheese
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- thinly sliced fresh basil
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside. Pour off drippings from skillet.
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Return beef to skillet. Add thyme; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Whisk milk, eggs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl until blended.
- Spray 2-1/2 to 3-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of the bread cubes, 1/2 cup of the cheese and half of the beef mixture in dish. Pour half of the egg mixture over the top. Top with remaining bread cubes, 1/2 cup of the cheese and remaining beef and egg mixtures. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Press any dry bread cubes into egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil; refrigerate 6 hours or as long as overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake strata, covered, 55 minutes. Remove foil. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes and basil, as desired.
Calories from Fat 318 (53%)
(54%)Total Fat 35g
(70%)Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 30g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.