Lentil Soup with Smoked Turkey
A meal in itself. The addition of some smoked turkey gives this soup a flavor that can’t be beat! Purchase smoked turkey breast already cooked; it freezes well.
- 2 cups lentils, uncooked
- 10 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz smoked turkey breast, cut in 1-inch (2.5cm) pieces
- Combine all ingredients except turkey breast in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, and turn down to simmer. Cook, covered for about 30 minutes.
- Add turkey pieces and cook for about 15 minutes more, until the flavors have mingled and the turkey breast is thoroughly heated through.
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
Calories from Fat 7 (3%)
(1%)Total Fat 1g
(1%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(65%)Dietary Fiber 16g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.