Healthy Vegetarian Enchiladas
All the flavor of restaurant enchiladas, but much healthier.
- 10 small corn tortillas (70 calories each)
- 2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
- dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 10 oz frozen bell pepper mix
- 10 oz frozen yellow corn mix (optional)
- 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 15-ounce can refried black beans
- 1 Tbs taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine frozen bell peppers and frozen corn in a non-stick skillet and sauté (with no oil) on medium heat. Add a healthy serving of taco seasoning to taste. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the peppers are heated through.
- Heat the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with chiles, cumin, oregano, and garlic powder in a large pot. Add a dash of cayenne if you like things spicy. Once heated through, blend with an immersion blender, and add broth until the sauce is the consistency you like. (For a thinner sauce, add more broth).
- Heat up refried black beans over medium heat and add taco seasoning to taste. Warm corn tortillas in the microwave (wrap in a paper towel, heat for 40-60 seconds until warmed through).
- Now it’s time for assembly! In a large casserole dish, begin creating the enchiladas: Take a corn tortilla, spread refried black beans down the middle (about 3-4 Tbsp), top with veggie mixture, top with 1-2 Tbsp cheese, roll.
- Once all the enchiladas are rolled up in the dish, top with the enchilada sauce and the remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered with foil at 350° for 10-12 min. Remove foil, heat for another 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Calories from Fat 40 (20%)
(7%)Total Fat 5g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 35g
(26%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.