Healthy Eggplant Parmesan (and other Ways with Roasted Veggies!)
Discover four healthy ways to make this easily adapted dish.
- 1 eggplant sliced
- Olive oil spray
- 1 cup your favorite marinara sauce
- 8 Tbs fresh, shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet, spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle them with salt and pepper, and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Remove from oven. Top each eggplant slice with 1-2 Tbsp sauce and 1 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese. Bake 8-10 min until cheese is bubbly. Top with basil before serving.
- You can also serve the eggplant with 1/2 cup cooked whole wheat pasta for a complete meal. Enjoy!
- MexicanReplace the eggplant with zucchini and other squashes to roast in the oven. Once out of the oven, top with a shredded four-cheese Mexican blend and broil in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Top with salsa, guacamole, fat-free sour cream, and serve with stewed black beans and brown rice.
- MediterraneanReplace the eggplant with tomatoes to roast in the oven. Once out of the oven, top with fat-free feta cheese and broil for just a few minutes until the feta is slightly melted. Serve the tomatoes on top of a Greek salad (romaine, cucumber, red onion, etc.). Or you can put the tomatoes in a pita with hummus and romaine. Or you can put the tomatoes on a bagel and eat it for breakfast!
- AmericanReplace the eggplant with sliced new potatoes and sweet potatoes to roast in the oven. (Note: the potatoes might have to roast longer in order to cook fully through.) Once out of the oven, top with your favorite cheese, steamed cut broccoli, fat-free sour cream, and any other vegetables/toppings you like!
Calories from Fat 121 (49%)
(21%)Total Fat 13g
(36%)Saturated Fat 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 15g
(23%)Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.