Grilled Colorado Spring Lamb
Lamb sauce, radicchio, and artichoke "duet" make this roasted leg of lamb a whole meal.
- Roasted Lamb Leg1 lamb leg roast, boned, rolled and tied (about 6 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Lamb Sauce8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Radicchio d’ Treviso1 large head radicchio
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 16 thin slices pancetta
- 16 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Grilled Artichokes4 artichokes, tips and stems trimmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Artichoke Puree6 whole artichoke hearts, from a can, drained
- 1 Tbs canola oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, chopped
- Roasted Lamb LegIn a bowl, combine oil, rosemary, and pepper.
- Place lamb in sealable plastic bag and add marinade. Refrigerate and marinate overnight.
- Remove lamb from marinade and discard marinade. Place lamb on rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast in 325°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes per pound or to desired degree of doneness: 145°F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170°F for well. Use pan and drippings to prepare Lamb Sauce.
- Cover and let roast stand 5 to 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 5 to 10 degrees.
- Just before serving cut lamb into thin slices.
- Lamb SauceIn a pan with roasted lamb drippings, sauté garlic and shallots until golden. Add tomatoes, rosemary, pepper and salt. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Mix in wine, stirring and scraping pan bottom to incorporate all of the lamb drippings.
- Cook to reduce liquid by one-half. Blend in chicken broth and cook to reduce by one-half.
- Strain sauce, using spoon to press vegetables through strainer. Keep warm.
- Radicchio d’ TrevisoCut radicchio into eight wedges. Whisk together vinegar, oil, and sugar. Place radicchio in bowl and pour over vinegar-oil mixture. Cover and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from marinade.
- Wrap two pieces pancetta around each wedge and insert two parallel skewers into one wedge.
- Repeat process to prepare all wedges, set aside.
- Grilled ArtichokesSteam artichokes until just tender. Slice artichokes in half and remove choke. Place in dish cut-side up.
- Combine oil, salt, and pepper and drizzle over artichokes.
- Cover and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- To grill radicchio and artichokes: Grill over medium-hot charcoals covered with gray ash. Cook radicchio 3 to 4 minutes per side until pancetta is crisp.
- Cook artichokes cut side down for 3 minutes, turn and cook additional 3 minutes. Remove from grill and remove skewers, set aside.
- Artichoke PureeSlice artichokes into thin pieces. In skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté artichokes for 3 to 4 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add wine, cook until reduced by one-half. Remove from heat and stir in half and half, salt and pepper. Puree in food processor.
- Add goat cheese and process to blend. Set aside.
- To Serve: Spoon one-eighth of the Artichoke Puree onto each plate.
- Place lamb slices on top of puree and spoon on sauce. Add grilled artichoke half and radicchio wedge to plate.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
Calories from Fat 264 (50%)
(45%)Total Fat 29g
(42%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 14g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
(14%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.