- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, stems removed and tomatoes halved
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs sherry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 drained pickled jalapeño
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp habañero chile sauce or other hot sauce
- 2 cucumbers, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Halve the peppers, remove the seeds and white portion, and transfer the seeds and white portion (the items normally discarded) to a blender or food processor.
- Add the tomatoes, 2 cups of the tomato juice, oil, both vinegars, garlic, jalapeño, salt, and hot sauce and puree until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining tomato juice.
- Cut the peppers (flesh portion) into small dice.
- Stir the diced peppers, cucumber, and cilantro into the pureed mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the chopped scallions.
Recipe courtesy of The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, Carla Ruben, and Peter Siegel with Robin Vitetta-Miller. Copyright © 1999 Carla Ruben, Bob Spiegel and Peter Siegel. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Nutrition Note: Nutrition Facts calculated on serving size of 1 cup.
Calories from Fat 22 (35%)
(4%)Total Fat 3g
(2%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 10g
(8%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.