Garlic Olive Osso Bucco
The combination of olives, garlic and chard bring additional flavor to this classic Milanese dish.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs veal shanks
- 1 Tbs all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole, crushed garlic cloves, skins removed
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1 cup olives, halved
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 4 cups chopped Swiss chard
- Heat oil in a large high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season veal shanks with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour. Brown in oil for 3 minutes on each side. Add garlic cloves to pan, turn heat down to medium and sauté until golden. Pour in beef stock, tomatoes, olives, white wine and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours until meat is easily pulled from the bone.
- Transfer cooked shanks to a clean plate and set aside. Stir chard into sauce and cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes until chard is completely wilted. Return osso bucco to pan and serve hot.
Calories from Fat 136 (32%)
(23%)Total Fat 15g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
(0%)Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.