Fresh Mushroom Clafouti
This savory take on the French classic is one you will return to again and again.
- 2 Tbs corn oil margarine
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dry Sherry
- 1 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 Tbs thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 Tbs salt
- 1/4 Tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Using a nonstick vegetable spray, spray a 10-inch fluted quiche pan or pie plate.
- Filling: In a large skillet heat margarine until melted. Add onion; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is just softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and dry Sherry; cook, stirring frequently, until liquid has evaporated, 15 to 18 minutes; set aside.
- CrustIn the container of an electric blender place milk, flour, egg whites, egg, thyme, salt and black pepper. Blend on high speed, until well beaten, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour 1 cup mixture into prepared pan forming a thin layer; set remaining mixture aside. Bake until firm to the touch, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; transfer to a baking sheet; spoon mushroom mixture from skillet evenly over crust reserving 1/4 cup mushrooms for garnish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Whirl remaining milk mixture in blender to combine; pour over cheese. Bake until puffed and brown, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool, about 10 minutes before serving (clafouti will lose some of its puffiness and flatten out). Garnish with reserved 1/4 cup mushrooms and fresh thyme springs, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Calories from Fat 68 (31%)
(12%)Total Fat 8g
(16%)Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 22g
(9%)Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.