Fresh Cherry Upside-Down Cake
A caramel drizzle adds sizzle to this delightful cherry and pineapple cake.
- Fruit Layer4 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbs pineapple juice
- 1/2 lb (about 2 cups) Bing cherries, rinsed, pitted and halved
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (you will need 8-10)
- Cake1/2 cup (1 cube) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1- 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- whipped cream topping (optional)
- Lightly butter or spray with non-stick spray, a 9-inch standard round cake pan.
- For the fruit layer, melt the butter in a wide skillet, add the sugar, and stir until it is melted and begins to bubble. Whisk in the pineapple juice, stirring until smooth. Pour this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In the bottom of the prepared cake pan, arrange the cherries cut side down in a circle, pressing down lightly to adhere. Add a second circle of cherries inside of the first ring. Place pineapple chunks in a circle inside of the cherry rings and another circle of pineapple chunks, if there is room. Place a cherry half (or halves) to fill in the center of the cake.
- For the cake, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla until smooth. Mix the flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the flour alternately with the milk, mixing until just combined. Pour batter over fruit and spread evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes and invert onto a sheet pan. Drizzle any lingering caramel over top. Cut into slices and serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Calories from Fat 115 (38%)
(20%)Total Fat 13g
(39%)Saturated Fat 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2016 Healthnotes, Inc. All rights reserved. www.healthnotes.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Healthnotes, the company.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.