Savory and delicious, this fiesta-inspired frittata is the perfect breakfast, lunch, or side-dish.
- 8 eggs
- 1 (8-ounce) carton low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 (4-ounce) cans or 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chile peppers, slightly drained
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa, optional
- cilantro sprigs, optional
- Beat eggs; add cottage cheese and 1 cup Mexican cheese, blend well; set aside. In a 10-inch, non-stick, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add green chilies and stir to mix. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes or until mixture looks set around the rim.
- Keeping mixture in skillet, bake in 350ºF oven until knife inserted in center of dish comes out clean or about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese and place under broiler for about 1 minute to brown and melt cheese (watch carefully).
- Cut into wedges and serve with reduced-fat sour cream and salsa and garnish with sprigs of cilantro, if desired.
Calories from Fat 165 (61%)
(28%)Total Fat 18g
(48%)Saturated Fat 10g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 6g
Total Carbohydrate 7g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.