Everyday Enchilada Casserole
This is a fine choice when you want a quick, simple casserole with a Mexican flair. Serve refried beans, rice, and orange slices alongside.
- 12 corn tortillas (5 1/2 to 6-inches across, not super-size)
- 1 (24 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- Filling3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, pulled apart by hand
- 1/2 large onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup already-shredded Mexican blend cheese, plus more for top
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild diced green chilies, drained
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs jarred minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350° F. Use nonstick cooking spray to lightly coat a 13 x 9-inch pan and a piece of foil large enough to cover the pan. Set aside.
- FillingStir the filling ingredients together in a medium bowl, adding the 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Microwave a stack of 6 tortillas between damp paper towels on high power until the tortillas are hot and soft enough to roll, about 1 minute. Cover with a cloth towel to keep warm. Remove 1 tortilla at a time, keeping the other tortillas covered, and place a rounded 1/3 cup of filling down the center. Roll into a cylinder and place, seam side down, in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, placing them close enough to touch. Microwave and fill the remaining 6 tortillas.
- Cover the pan with the prepared foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil, spread the salsa over the top, and sprinkle with cheese, as desired. Bake loosely covered, until the enchiladas are hot and the sauce is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue by Carla Fitzgerald Williams. Copyright © 2003 Carla Fitzgerald Williams. All Rights Reserved. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold.
Serving Suggestion: This is a great meal for unexpected guests.
Calories from Fat 87 (26%)
(15%)Total Fat 10g
(18%)Saturated Fat 4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 38g
(20%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.