Confetti Beef and Spinach Pie
Simple ingredients combine to create this comforting and hearty pie.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained well
- 4 oz herb-flavored feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 to 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough, defrosted, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick strips (4 cups)
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 400°F. Squeeze spinach to remove any excess moisture. Combine spinach, cheese, eggs and oregano in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Add beef mixture to spinach mixture; mix well. Wipe out skillet.
- Combine phyllo strips and oil in medium bowl; toss to coat well. Spray same skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1/2 of phyllo strips in bottom of skillet; top with beef mixture, pressing with back of spoon or spatula to flatten. Top with remaining phyllo strips.
- Bake in 400°F oven 15 to 18 minutes or until beef is heated through and topping is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges to serve.
Calories from Fat 281 (52%)
(48%)Total Fat 31g
(55%)Saturated Fat 11g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.