Caribbean Jerk Chicken with California Figs
An alternative to traditional barbecue fare, tangy, jerk-marinated chicken is served atop a crunchy and fresh cabbage slaw.
- Caribbean Jerk Sauce4 oz dried California Mission figs, stemmed and quartered
- 2 Tbs habanero chile sauce (or 2 fresh habanero chiles, chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions (white part only), chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Chicken Breasts4 boneless chicken breasts, skin on
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- Cabbage Slaw2 cups thinly sliced or shredded green cabbage
- 1 ripe mango, diced or sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced or shredded red cabbage
- 4 fresh or dried California Calimyrna figs
- 1 red bell pepper, stems and seeds removed, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 6 fresh of dried California Calimyrna figs, sliced for garnish
- Caribbean Jerk SauceIn saucepan, combine figs, habanero sauce or chiles, garlic, green onions, fresh thyme leaves, brown sugar, vinegar, and water.
- Heat to a boil, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until figs are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer ingredients along with about 1/2 cup liquid to food processor. Add olive oil and seasonings and process until smooth to make a thick sauce. Store in refrigerator until needed.
- Chicken BreastsPreheat oven to 350°F.
- In large oven-proof skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Sear skin side of chicken breasts until lightly browned; turn and sear remaining side. Turn skin side up and brush, liberally, with Caribbean Jerk Sauce.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, until done 165°F internal temperature.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for cabbage slaw and toss to mix together well.
- Divide among four individual serving plates. Slice each chicken breast into 1/2-inch slices, and arrange on top of cabbage slaw, spooning a dollop of Caribbean Jerk Sauce over each. Garnish with sliced figs.
Calories from Fat 495 (47%)
(84%)Total Fat 55g
(58%)Saturated Fat 12g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 31g
Total Carbohydrate 78g
(45%)Dietary Fiber 11g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.