Caramelized American Lamb Roast with Apricot and Cranberry Stuffing
Lamb stuffed with apricots, cranberries, spices, and herbs is a meal fit for any holiday table.
- 1 lamb leg, boned and trimmed
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, snipped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and coarse ground pepper
- Butcher's string to tie roast
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- Lay lamb flat on cutting board. Trim off all visible fat. Use meat mallet to flatten pieces of meat so that all of the lamb is about 2 inches thick. Wrap up meat and refrigerate.
- In small bowl, combine apricots and cranberries, set aside. In small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add orange juice and cinnamon, bring to a boil. Pour over dried fruit, mix and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Lay meat flat on board cut-side up and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut meat in half making two rectangles. Divide filling between the two pieces of meat. Evenly spread fruit mixture over meat. Start at the smallest end and roll up meat as tightly as possible. Place seam-side down on board. Tightly tie string around roast at 1-inch intervals. Tie string around roast from end to end. Repeat process making two roasts.
- Place roasts on a rack in roasting pan. Preheat oven to 500°F. Place roast in oven, immediately turn down temperature to 325°F. Baste roast with corn syrup every 15 minutes. Roast for about 50 to 60 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
Calories from Fat 118 (29%)
(20%)Total Fat 13g
(0%)Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 28g
(4%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.