Camping Macaroni and Cheese
A little preparation at home will give you the best meal you've ever cooked on a campfire.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare pasta at home according to package directions. Store in a sealable container and place in a zip bag. Place shredded cheeses in a container, flour in its own small bag, and the bread crumbs in their own bag as well.
- Place macaroni, cheese, butter, and milk in a cooler full of ice to transport to your camping site.
- Once your camp is set up and you are ready to cook, light charcoals in your grill. When the coals are amber you are ready to cook.
- Place a large cast iron Dutch oven on your barbecue. Melt butter over charcoals and whisk in milk. One tablespoon at a time, whisk in flour until it has thickened and you have a roux. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly stir in the cheese blend until it has melted into the roux. Reserve some cheese to top the macaroni.
- Add cooked macaroni to the dutch oven and stir to coat with sauce. Cover and allow to cook until it is heated throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Top with reserved cheese and bread crumbs. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Calories from Fat 204 (47%)
(36%)Total Fat 23g
(69%)Saturated Fat 14g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 7g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(5%)Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.