Brandied Cherry Scones
The flaxseeds in these wholesome and hearty scones provide essential fatty acids and a rich, buttery flavor. If you can’t find milled flaxseeds, grind up whole flaxseeds in your blender or food processor.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dried cherries
- 1/3 cup brandy
- 2 1/2 cups spelt or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz soft tofu
- 1/4 cup safflower or canola oil
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milled flaxseeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a small bowl, soften cherries in brandy for 30 minutes.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a medium bowl.
- Combine tofu, oil, lemon juice, vanilla and maple syrup in a blender until smooth. Add blended ingredients, flaxseeds, cherries and brandy to flour mixture; stir gently until just mixed.
- Using a floured rolling pin and cutting board, roll dough out into a circle 3/4-inch (2cm) thick. Slice dough into 8 wedges. Place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Calories from Fat 95 (30%)
(17%)Total Fat 11g
(5%)Saturated Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrate 43g
(29%)Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.