Black Bean and Mixed Rice Casserole
A cheesy, chicken-and-rice-filled casserole. Serve with a green salad for a delicious dinner.
- 1 6 oz package white and wild rice mix
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions, discarding spice packet.
- Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add onion, green and red pepper, mushrooms, and Italian seasoning; cook, covered and over medium heat until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Cook, uncovered and until vegetables are tender and excess moisture is gone, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Combine rice, mushroom mixture, chicken, beans, corn, peas, sour cream, and 1 cup cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into 2-quart casserole; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake, uncovered at 350° F until hot through, about 30 minutes.
Calories from Fat 92 (26%)
(16%)Total Fat 10g
(28%)Saturated Fat 6g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 3g
Total Carbohydrate 36g
(21%)Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2015 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2016.