Beef & Mushroom Stew
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck or round, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 head garlic, separated, peeled
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 envelope (0.9 ounce) onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 pound assorted small fresh mushrooms, such as button, cremini and shiitake
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- Combine flour and pepper; lightly coat beef with flour mixture. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/4 of beef; remove beef. Repeat three times.
- Add onions and garlic to Dutch oven; cook and stir over medium heat 3 minutes. Add wine; cook and stir until browned bits attached to pan are dissolved. Stir in broth and soup mix until blended.
- Add mushrooms and beef to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 45 minutes. Add carrots; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef is fork-tender. Add peas; simmer 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the National Cattleman’s Beef Association
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
Calories from Fat 499 (68%)
(86%)Total Fat 56g
(103%)Saturated Fat 21g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 26g
Total Carbohydrate 16g
(11%)Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.