Beans Hawaiian is based on recipe by big band leader Moxie Whitney and includes four of his favorite things: beans, pineapple, wieners—and no work.
- 2 cups dried navy beans
- 1 1/2 cups teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 6 slices thickly cut bacon
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, roughly chopped
- 16 oz ham steak, cubed
- Soak dried navy beans overnight in a large pot. You want the water to be cold and about 2 to 3 inches above the beans. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Drain and rinse the beans. Place in a large pot and cover by 4 to 5 inches of fresh water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 – 1˝ hours until the beans are tender but not bursting.
- In the meantime, combine teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, and ginger in a medium bowl. Whisk until brown sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Reserving 2 cups of the boiled water, drain the beans.
- In a large Dutch oven, sauté bacon for 3 to 4 minutes over medium high heat. With a slotted spoon remove bacon and set aside.
- Add onions to the bacon fat and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and pineapple and sauté for an additional minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Place bacon back into the dutch oven and add the cubed ham steak, beans, reserved water, and prepared sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Bake in the oven covered for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 200°F and continue to cook for 6 hours, stirring halfway through.
- After 6 hours, remove lid, increase heat to 350°F, and cook for an additional 1 to 2 hours stirring every twenty minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Calories from Fat 52 (13%)
(9%)Total Fat 6g
(9%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 61g
(53%)Dietary Fiber 13g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2013 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2014.