Avocado Citrus Salad with Marinated Onions
A colorful and tasty salad—tangy, marinated onions are served over slices of rich avocado and juicy citrus.
- Marinated Onions1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Avocado Citrus Salad2 oranges, peeled and sectioned (reserve peel)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and skin removed
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, sliced, and seeded
- 3 heads endive (or romaine lettuce)
- Combine rice wine vinegar, honey, and water in jar with tight lid; shake until well blended. Add onions to the jar.
- Shake jar to coat onions in liquid, then refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours. If necessary, shake the jar a few times during the 6 hours to be sure the onions marinate evenly.
- Grate 2 teaspoons of orange peel. Combine orange peel, oil, vinegar, and honey in a small jar with a lid; set aside.
- For each serving, arrange endive and/or romaine leaves in a spoke-like fashion on individual plates. Portion orange segments, avocado slices, and grapefruit segments onto the center spokes of endive and/or romaine.
- Lift marinated onions from liquid with a fork and transfer to the top of each salad. Drizzle with orange peel-infused dressing before serving.
Calories from Fat 138 (53%)
(27%)Total Fat 17g
(12%)Saturated Fat 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrate 33g
(34%)Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugar Alcohols 0g
Copyright © 2014 Aisle7. All rights reserved. Aisle7.com
Read our healthy recipe definitions.
Learn more about Aisle7, the company.
Learn more about the authors of Aisle7 products.
The information presented here is for informational purposes only and was created by a team of US–registered dietitians and food experts. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements, making dietary changes, or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2015.