Fresh morels must be cleaned thoroughly before use as their honeycomb surface collects dirt and small insects. Rinse the mushrooms several times and, if necessary, clean the pits with a fine brush. Before using dried morels, cover them with warm water and allow them to soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the mushrooms thoroughly after they have been rehydrated.
Morels should always be eaten cooked, as they can irritate the stomach when eaten raw. Large morels can be stuffed, while the smaller mushrooms are ideal for sauces, soups, and stews. Plainer dishes show off the distinctive morel flavor and aroma better than highly seasoned ones.